Development for this mod was slightly different, as I had already knew the limit of my abilities and skills. The way I composed had also changed, I had began working and experimenting with some new sounds and techniques, this time the composition for the music was based around orchestration, guitars, sampling, and drums. These elements together helped strengthen the mood of the pieces I was writing.
Again much like the process of Voyager, I was consistently working with somebody to create the soundtrack, most elements of the previous soundtrack were used again due to the small team and scale of the project. Unlike large AAA game soundtracks, where new songs are created to add difference, this one was composed used intricately looped soundtracks, to add depth and ease of listening to the remarkably limited pieces I had wrote. I included new pieces of music and remixes of previous tracks and unreleased tracks that didn't get used initially, to provide ease and familiarity to the soundtrack.
The pieces listed below are ones that were introduced in this mod, there was 6 tracks I wrote specifically for this mod.
The first piece I wrote for this soundtrack was a demo for Gerudo Valley, which was based around sampled foreign language samples, and heavy hitting wooden drums. This was the only piece that lacked sounds of orchestration. The second demo featured a guitar playing G, G#, A# and was composed in an Arabian scale, this is when I added synthesized orchestration in, to accompany the very aggressive track, and soften the blow delivered towards the end.
The second piece of music wrote for this mod, was a re-interpretation of Koji Kondo's Lost Woods theme, though my version featured more emphasis on the orchestral elements. The alternate version of this was written in a whole new key to show a scarier side of the lost woods, while the first version focused more on mystery. This piece was wrote in the A minor scale. While the alternate night time version was written in Eb Sustained 4. The mysterious piece used a bell sample from the Gerudo Valley piece.
The third piece written for the mod was the Ice Temple, this piece was wrote with more synthesized elements, and featured heavy sampling of a synthesized melody that I played into an earlier version of the piece. The drum style of the track was ambient and spread out to create space within the track. The lead melody for this track was played by a mallet type of instrument, to add softness. No bass was used within the track as it might ruin the type of sound I was going for.
The fourth piece I had wrote was for the Fire Temple, which was a slow moving piece with little instrumentation or percussion what percussion there was, was used later at the end to bring power to this track, the main instrumentation much like the Ice Temple was very synthesized and slow though this one utilized sounds of a warm and uncomfortable nature, e.g. there is a sample of rumbling tectonic plates I added distortion to and reverb. The second sample used recordings of a chanting choir, which was then reversed and distorted to bring a creepy element to the piece.
The fifth piece made, after some careful consideration was an introduction that featured choirs and orchestral instruments that climbs from Cmajor to Eminor, then in the second part Cmajor to Gmajor, these chords were inverted and played with a synthesized choir on the top playing the third of each triad. This idea was played with using traditional instruments, and was eventually constructed based from a dissonant sounding lead, that plays the introduction which later is accompanied by a violin and a synthesized orchestra.
The sixth piece was for Lon Lon Ranch, this is one of the pieces for the game that I wrote which was soft and light, it was not intense like the majority of the soundtrack above. Lon Lon Ranch had a sound that couldn't be removed, a female vocal sample this was worked around as I wrote the piece of music in the key of the vocal sample and based the whole piece around it. The song features a laid back feel, with soothing flute and string parts.
No comments:
Post a Comment